Community Explorer Packs
Blue Backpacks each contain admission to a local museum or activity for Library patrons. Many also contain books, games, and an activity guide surrounding the theme of the pack.
- *New* Field Station: Dinosaurs — Derby, KS
- *New* Great Plains Transportation Museum — Wichita, KS (Museum is only open on the weekends)
- *New* Strataca Salt Museum — Hutchinson, KS (must be 5 and older to visit)
- *New* Dyck Arboretum — Hesston, KS
- *New* Museum of World Treasures — Wichita, KS
- *New* Old Mill and Swedish Heritage Museum — Lindsborg, KS
- Cosmosphere — Hutchinson, KS
- Old Cowtown Museum — Wichita, KS
- Sedgwick Co. Zoo — Wichita, KS
- Tanganyika Wildlife Park — Goddard, KS
- Botanica — Wichita, KS
- Wichita Art Museum — Wichita, KS
- Mid-America All-Indian Center — Wichita, KS
- Disc Golf– Supplies, instructions, and map to area disc park
- Parks Themed Pack — Area Park Info
- Wildcat Pack — Mulvane School District Athletic Events (Home Games)
- Exploration Place — Wichita, KS
- Pickleball — Supplies, instructions, and info on local court
*Made possible by a generous grant from the Lanore Bishop Community Foundation.
Community Explorer Pack FAQ’s
Who can checkout a Community Explorer Pack? If you are a MPL or KanShare cardholder 16 yrs or older, you may check out a Community Explorer Pack at the Mulvane Public Library (you must be the responsible party on your card).
How many Community Explorer Packs can I check out and for how long? You may check out one Community Explorer Pack per loan period. The loan period for packs is firmly one week (museum pass access expires after 7 days). Only one Community Explorer Pack per household may be checked out at a time. There is a 24-hour waiting period after returning a Community Explorer Pack before the pass for the same pack may be checked out again.
Can I put a Community Explorer Pack on hold? Community Explorer Packs may be placed on hold. Search the card catalog under “Community Explorer Packs” to reserve a pack. Please place only one pack on hold at a time. Packs cannot be requested through InterLibrary Loan. Community Explorer Packs may not be renewed because of high demand. You have only 3 business days to come in and check out a pack once you have been notified the pack is ready. If you do not pick up the pack in the allotted time, the pack will move to the next person in line. We would be happy to add your name to the list again, it will be at the end of the hold queue.
What are the overdues and/or replacement costs? The overdue fine for a Community Explorer Pack is $5 per day, again, due to high demand. Community Explorer Pack replacement costs vary per pack, please inquire at circulation desk for exact costs.
Where are the Explorer Packs shelved? The Blue Backpacks are located at the staff desk. Please check with staff for packs currently available. The Reading Ready Packs are located in the youth area.
Misc. Passes may be limited to general admission only. Special exhibits may not be covered, and other restrictions may apply. Museums and the Library may change the terms and conditions of the passes at any time.